Prince Rupert, an Alternatives to Deltaport
Why is Prince Rupert a better alternative than Deltaport?
The first phase of the brand new Prince Rupert Fairview container Port is open and now handles over 500,000 containers a year Planning and engineering for both Phase 1 and Phase 2 have been completed through the development planning process to ensure the project planning integrates this eventual expansion. Work is expected to commence on Phase 2 shortly, and construction of the expanded terminal will be complete soon - giving the port capacity of 2 million TEUs. Further expansion is also being contemplated so that Prince Rupert would be capable of handling 4.5 million TEUs.
With that kind of capacity coming on stream, Canada's west coast will never be short of container port capacity - even if Deltaport stays at its current size.
Why is Prince Rupert a more logical place for a container port than Deltaport:
- It is two sailing days (one inbound, one outbound) closer than Deltaport to the major exporting countries in the Asia/Pacific.
- It's a natural deep sea harbour that requires no dredging, unlike Deltaport.
- It's an easier shipping route - straight in via Hecate Straight - unlike Deltaport where the ships have to pass through the narrow Juan de Fuca straight and up through Orca Pass.
- There's much less of an environmental impact - unlike Deltaport and T2 that risks destroying the globally significant Roberts Bank ecosystem.
- Excellent transportation infrastructure - CN Rail link already in place - unlike Deltaport that requires billions of dollars to build the necessary road and rail network.
- 53 percent of the containers handled by Vancouver Port Authority are destined for Eastern Canada and the US. The rail route to these eastern markets from Prince Rupert is significantly shorter than the route from Deltaport or T2.
- Less pollution from dirty, diesel burning trucks, unlike Deltaport and T2.
- Less pollution - ship emissions will be lower because the route into port is significantly faster.
- The Prince Rupert community wants the container port - Delta residents are strongly opposed to Deltaport and adamant that T2 not be built.
Make sense? Then tell the politicians.