RBT2 PROJECT – HAVE YOUR SAY
Here is a new opportunity for you to tell the Liberal Government - DURING AN ELECTION PERIOD - that you oppose RBT2.
The Public Hearings for the environmental assessment of the proposed Roberts Bank Terminal 2, by a federally appointed Review Panel, finished on June 24.
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency registry for the RBT2 project remains open but only participants who registered for the public hearings can post to the site, and only for closing remarks.
The Panel will now review all the material and submissions and then make a recommendation to the federal Minister Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC).
RBT2 is not good for Canada and is not good for Canadians. Now the hearings are complete we need to make sure the ECCC Minister hears our concerns and decides not to approve RBT2.
So we have set up a process for you to tell the ECCC Minister that you oppose the project and ask her not to approve RBT2. Here is how it works:
- Click on the “SEND EMAIL” link below and it will open up an email with the subject title already filled out. Copy and paste the content in the green box below into the body of the email. You can use this text, or change it as you wish, or write your own.
- You will need to identify yourself by entering your name, city, postal code and email address.
- You have the option to also send the email to your MP. To do that click on the link to find your MP link or enter your postal code below. That will identify your MP and their email address. Copy that address into the “to” line of the email.
- Send this email, using your email system to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will come to APE. We will take your emails and present them to the Minister Environment and Climate Change Canada.
- It is as simple as that. The Minister needs to hear from you. We need to show the federal government that the public opposes any further industrial and port development on Roberts Bank. HAVE YOUR SAY – NO T2
ATTENTION MINISTER ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE CANADA:
I HEREBY SUBMIT MY OPPOSITION TO THE VANCOUVER FRASER PORT AUTHORITY PROJECT TO BUILD A SECOND CONTAINER TERMINAL (RBT2) ON ROBERTS BANK, FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- IT IS IRRESPONSIBLE TO BUILD A MAN-MADE ISLAND AND EXPANDED CAUSEWAY EXPROPRIATING OVER 1000 ACRES OF NATURAL HABITAT ON ROBERTS BANK, WHICH IS:
- AN INTERNATIONALLY IMPORTANT WETLAND
- WORLD RENOWNED FOR ITS MIGRATORY BIRD AND OTHER SHOREBIRD POPULATIONS
- THE NUMBER ONE IMPORTANT BIRD AREA IN CANADA
- A UNIQUE ECOSYSTEM SUPPORTING BIRDS, CRABS, SALMON, HERRING, ENDANGERED ORCA WHALES AND OTHER WILDLIFE SPECIES.
- RBT2 RISKS BREAKING THE CHAIN OF THE PACIFIC FLYWAY, A MAJOR NORTH AMERICAN FLYWAY TRAVELLED BY MIGRATORY BIRDS TO AND FROM THEIR BREEDING GROUNDS.
- RBT2 WILL NEGATIVELY IMPACT MIGRATORY BIRDS, ESPECIALLY THE WESTERN SANDPIPER SPECIES THAT RELIES ON THE UNIQUE BIOFILM AS A CRITICAL FOOD SOURCE FOR THE FATTY ACIDS THAT IT NEEDS TO COMPLETE ITS MIGRATION.
- SCIENTISTS WITH ENVIRONMENT CANADA EXPRESSED OPPOSITION TO RBT2 IN THE PUBLIC HEARINGS. IN EFFECT THEY SAY BUILDING THE PORT WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS THAT CANNOT BE MITIGATED.
- RBT2 FORCES JUVENILE SALMON TRANSITIONING FROM RIVER TO OCEAN INTO DEEPER WATERS, PUTTING THEM AT RISK OF PREDATION AND LOSS OF FEEDING OPPORTUNITIES.
- COMMUNITIES IN THE AREA WILL BE IMPACTED BY FURTHER INCREASES IN NOISE, LIGHT AND AIR POLLUTION. NONE OF THESE CAN BE MITIGATED.
- RBT2 WILL DOUBLE THE NUMBER OF PORT TRUCKS PER DAY AND CAUSE FURTHER TRAFFIC CONGESTION ON OUR HIGHWAYS
- CANADA’S TRADING NEEDS CAN BE WELL SATISFIED BY EXPANDING CONTAINER TERMINAL FACILITIES IN PRINCE RUPERT, WHERE PLANS HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED FOR TERMINALS CAPABLE OF HANDLING SEVEN MILLION CONTAINERS.
RBT2 IS NOT GOOD FOR CANADA AND IS NOT GOOD FOR CANADIANS.
FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE REASONS WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE REPORT FROM THE REVIEW PANEL I ASK THAT YOU REFUSE TO APPROVE THE ADDITION OF A SECOND CONTAINER TERMINAL ON ROBERTS BANK. I ALSO ASK THAT MY MP SUPPORT MY CALL TO PREVENT RBT2 BEING BUILT.